The Round Hill – Down Hill Derby is a once a year opportunity for you to race down a closed off-street course in the Town of Round Hill!
Registration Due: $10 per racer; delivered to the Town Office by 5 p.m. Thursday, May 26 or in person to the Information Table in the Town Park by 2 p.m. on the day of the Festival
Drivers Meeting: 1 hour prior to race at the starting line/ramps (Intersection of High Street and N. Locust Street.)
Races: Saturday, May 28, 2022, at 3:00 p.m.
Location: Racers will run down N. Locust St. from High St. down toward W. Loudoun St.
- Racers will run multiple heat races, and ribbons will be awarded for fastest runs.
- There will be separate divisions for homemade and kit cars
- Total number of driver entrants will be limited to 24.
- The races are open to pre-registered drivers between 6 and 17 years old who can safely operate their vehicle down the course.
- Handmade cars with children’s participation in construction and painting is encouraged.
- Kit cars are defined as a vehicle with a prefabricated body, and/or a majority of the vehicle being similar to an official soap box derby car (e.g. from www.soapboxracing.com or similar vendors).
- Classification of kit vs. homemade will be at the discretion of the race managers.
- We may have a run-off to determine the King or Queen of the Hill for each vehicle class.
- Derby cars must comply with the published rules of the derby.
- All derby car drivers are required to attend a drivers’ meeting one hour prior to the race start.
- Safety helmets required.
Come out and show us what you’ve got! More information on car specifications may be found in our derby flier/registration form.
A fee of $10 per derby car racer is due with your registration form. Deliver forms and payment to Town Hall.
We need volunteers to help with course and event set-up on Friday, start and finish line crews and timers for race day and course take down after race. Email email@example.com to volunteer.
If you’re thinking of building your own car, the following links may be useful as general guidelines. Please note, however, that information on these sites was written in compliance with other races’ rules and regulations, which may not apply to the Round Hill Downhill.
- Clover Valley Soap Box Derby Manual
Soap Box Derby Manual.pdf
(Note: This manual provides detailed instruction on building a derby car; however the dimensions in this manual are different from the required dimensions of the Round Hill Downhill Derby cars, so modifications are necessary.)
- Build a Racer
(Note:This manual provides detailed instruction on building a derby car; however the dimensions in this manual are different from the required dimensions of the Round Hill Downhill Derby cars, so modifications are necessary.)
- The official Soap Box Derby site
- Suggested plunge-brake system: